Thursday, January 23, 2014

In Your Space: Bean and Bailey Ceramics

One of the things I love about having my shop is getting to meet and know my community. Chattanooga is full of so many talented people putting their craft to work and through Fredonia I met Jessie and Anderson, the husband and wife team behind Bean and Bailey Ceramics. http://beanandbailey.bigcartel.com/ Jessie and Anderson relocated to Chattanooga from Portland, Oregon for the opportunity to set up shop in Highland Park. I spent some time with them and their outstanding little dog, Mr. Parker, in their studio space yesterday, it's the most fun I've had in a while and I wanted to stay all day and get my hands dirty. Oh, and I will take one of everything please!



Why Chattanooga?
It is in the south and surrounded by green.  When we moved here there were a lot of grant opportunities for artists.  That is kind of what lured us in.  It is also a great central location, close to Nashville, Atlanta, and Birmingham.  



What's the best thing about clay?
It is plastic; it responds to your touch, it takes on any mark you want to make on it, and the possibilities are limitless.
What do you love about your studio space?
We love that it is a shared space and we have the opportunity to see other processes and materials being used.  We also have an exhibition space up front, which most studios don't have.  This allows us to bring the public in and expose them to what we are doing, along with interesting things other people are doing.  


 Random thing that's beautiful to you:
Jessie: teeth, especially Mr. Parker's teeth
Anderson: swimming belly up underwater, looking back up at the surface of the water. 








One place in Chattanooga I shouldn't miss:
The Farmer's Daughter, duh.



No comments:

Post a Comment